Campus Development, Education, Private School, School Sport, Kleinmachnow, BB, Germany
(1) Triple Sports Hall, Facades
House 4, Section
Old Heating Plant, Preliminary Design
An International School well placed on top of a hill
- as before "Hochschule der SED" and originally "Reichspostforschungsinstitut"
The architectural complex was erected 1939-1943, architect Walther Schmidt, Member of "bayerische Postbauschule" under Robert Vorhoelzer (see also Project BBI, Augsburg)
One of the main tasks was - besides of proposing the location to the client - to prepare a concept for a step by step development of the whole campus, a "Masterplan" (image 2).
All of the 6 former four-story institute buildings are connected by a grass-covered corridor at the level of the 2nd floor.
But first of all, House 2 needed a conversion and refurbishing into a useable School Building. Basement and attic of House 2 had to be fit out, like it was equally provided for the other Houses 1, 3 and 5.
House 4, which was destroyed at the end of World War II and rebuilt as one of the prefabricated buildings from the years of the GDR, was scheduled to be replaced by a new Community Building with Assembly Room (Theater) with Stage and Orchestra pit, Foyer, Music- and Drama-Centers, a Department for Design and Technology and a Multipurpose Room (image 5).
Instead of the bombed-out gatehouse a new Building with a Multipurpose Hall for the Elementary School was planned to be constructed (Image 6).
An ambitious steadily growing school of course needs sports facilities. A new triple-gym with additional rooms was designed (images 3, 4) and for outdoor sports activities a soccer field, all-weather sports fields and a 600 m running track was planned.
A very interesting project would have been the conversion of the old heating plant (House 6) which was planned to become a place for exhibitions, workshops, a café, a small museum and - in addition on the flat roof - for 9-12 apartments (Image 7).